Tuesday, November 10, 2009

La Tour Eiffel


The Eiffel Tower is a 19th century iron lattice tower located on the Champ de Mars in Paris. It is the tallest building in France's capital and the single most visited paid monument in the world; millions of people climb to the top every year. It was named after its designer, engineer Gustave Eiffel, who designed it as the entrance arch for the 1889 World Fair. Since then, it's become both a global icon of France and one of the most recognisable structures in the world.

The tower stands at 324 m (1,063 ft) tall, about the same height as an 81-story building. Climbing to the top isn't for the faint-hearted, or those with severe acrophobia.

I've only been on it once, on a rainy, windy day, and wouldn't recommend it. The views just weren't worth it. I bet it's a different story in summer though - if you don't mind queuing for ever.

6 comments:

Shionge said...

This is a beautiful shot Tinsie :D

Tinsie said...

Thank you :-)

VP said...

What a surprise! And a really beautiful image, love the angle and the partly clouded sky.
Even in your image you can see part of the 'names'...

Tinsie said...

You know, I didn't think of the names when I took the photo.

In fact, I didn't think of them until I read your comment just now. Duh.

Anonymous said...

Wish I'll be there someday!!!!

Tinsie said...

Come over and I'll take you. It's only 2hrs 20mins from London by train :-)