Thursday, April 8, 2010

Athens by night

Tonight I met up for drinks with a friend in the centre of Athens. I had my little camera with me and took some photos to show you what the city looks like after dark. You may have to click on the photos to see them properly.


Shops in the centre stay open from 9 AM to 9 PM. I took this photo at 9:16 PM, just as Ermou street, one of the main shopping areas, was starting to quieten down. The lit-up building in the distance is the Parliament.


Shop windows are brightly lit and imaginatively decorated.


In between the cement and the traffic, it is possible to catch glimpses of the Acropolis.


Monastiraki is a popular destination for diners looking for a cheap and filling meal. The weather is very mild at the moment, so many people choose to dine al fresco. Greeks tend to have dinner late, so although it was almost 10 PM when I took this photo, all the tavernas were packed.


No need to worry if you're too late for the shops. Street kiosks sell everything from travel guides to loo roll.


We had a drink at this little bar. It wasn't very busy as it's mid-week and we were a little early. It was more lively when we left just before midnight.


Rows of taxis are waiting for customers at Syntagma Square.


I opted to take the metro, so walked through the square to the metro station. Can you make out the couple kissing by the fountain? Sooo cute!


It seems that lots of other people had the same idea, as the platform was pretty crowded, considering it was past midnight.

7 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

A few familiar places here. I have been at Monastiraki a couple of nights.

Margarita said...

I can't wait to plan my next trip. Last summer I actually dined at the tavern you took the picture. Yum, souvlaki! Now I'm all nostalgic!

Unknown said...

Great night tour! What's that chandelier like thing hanging in the first pic?

Mo said...

Great tour. Must visit. How hot is it in September

VP said...

I have just checked for any direct flight from Pisa to Athens. You made me wish for a quick trip, maybe for a long weekend. No way, maybe later in season...

Deepak Acharya said...

I am sure you must had a great time there

Tinsie said...

@ JM: It's a remnant of the Xmas decorations. I tried to avoid it but it wasn't possible. I wondered if anyone would notice ;-)

@ Mo: Usually about 25-30°C during the day. Hotter at the start of the month, cooler towards the end.

@ VP: Believe me, I wish for a quick trip too, and I've just got back! Keep looking, it's 26°C out there at the moment...